'Lister06'Index links to: Lead / Letter
Families covered: Lyster of Corrakip, Lyster of Lysterfield, Lyster of New Park
|John Lister of Corkip, co Roscommon|
|(1) John's ancestry is shown as reported by BLGI1912 ('Lyster of Rocksavage'), showing John as son of Anthony (by Christiana Kilkenny) son of Walter (by Deborah Osbaldeston). BLG1894 ('Lyster of Rocksavage') which gives much less data on the early generations, suggests that this John was a younger son of Walter (by an Osbaldeston, albeit naming her Eva rather than Deborah) and a younger brother of Thomas of Grange. BLG1894 ('Lyster of Lysterfield'), which is the source used for this page and which may have been produced independently of BLG1894 ('Lyster of Rocksavage'), claims that:
* John's father was Osbaldiston Lyster ("an adherent of Cromwell", Protector 1649-1658) rather than Walter, indicating confusion with the fact that it was his (grand)mother who was an Osbaldiston (Osbaldeston).
* John of Corrakip was elder brother of both Anthony of Lysterfield (who m1. Elizabeth Warren and is shown by BLGI1912 as younger son of Thomas of Grange, nephew of this John rather than his younger bother) and William of Grange (father of Thomas of Grange then Atleague who m2. Alice, Lady Aylmer, whereas BLGI1912 shows that Alice (Browne)'s husband as Thomas, elder brother of this John).
(2) It appears that BLGI1912 was produced after further research which disagreed with some of what was given by BLG1894.
(3) BLG1894 ('Lyster of Lysterfield') suggests that the John of Corkip of this generation d 1784 but that looks unlikely given that, if BLGI1912 is more reliable and this John was indeed son of Anthony son of Walter, Anthony's eldest son by his 2nd marriage (another Anthony) died in 1726 having outlived his own son.
(4) Given these uncertainties, we are left uncertain that the connection we show is reliable!
|1.||?? Lister or Lyster presumed intermediary generation, could be Osbaldiston Lyster??|
|A.||John Lyster of Corrakip (d 1784)|
|m. Elizabeth Bellew of Mount Bellew|
|i.||Anthony Lyster of New Park, co. Westmeath (d before 09.11.1754)|
|m. (1733) Mary Geoghehan (dau of Bryan Geoghehan of Castletown Geoghehan)|
|a.||Matthew Lyster of New Park, Sheriff (d 1797, Captain)|
|m. (1771) Helena Kelly (dau of Ingatius Kelly of Cargins)|
|(1)||Anthony Lyster of New Park (b 1776, d unm 1806, Captain)|
|m. (1808) Ralph Smythe of Barbaville|
|(3)||Helen Jane Lyster (dsp)|
|m. "a French nobleman"|
|b.||James Lyster of Lysterfield, co. Roscommon, Sheriff|
|m1. Letitia Woods (dau of J. Woods of Rossmead)|
|(1)||Anthony Lyster of Lysterfield, Sheriff of co. Roscommon (d 05.1841, Lt. Colonel) had issue|
|m. (1808) Jane Fosbery (dau of George Fosbery of Adare Farm)|
|m2. _ Burke (dau of John Burke of Tyaqin)|
|(2)||James Lyster (dsp)|
|m1. Elizabeth (relict of Hon. Charles Hamilton, cousin)|
|m2. Anne (relict of Edward Mills of Fairymont)|
|(3)||Matthew Water Lyster (youngest son)|
|m. Lucy Caulfeild (dau of Colonel _ Caulfeild of Benown)|
|m. _ Zobel (Captain)|
|m. Edward O'Beirne of Dublin|
|m. M. Trimble|
|(7)+||other issue - John, Thomas, Eliza (d 1825), Eleanor|
|m. Milles Dowdall of Clowne|
|d.+||other issue - Christopher, Michael, Christian|
Main source(s): BLG1894 ('Lyster of Lysterfield')
Back to top of page